Advertisement

Alonso has finally been given the green flag to get a taste of a Formula 1 car. Though unconfirmed, Alonso could end up behind the wheel of the R.S.18, Renault’s 2018 car. If the reports are believed to be true, we could see the Spaniard test around the Catalunya Circuit next week on Tuesday.

Ever since Alonso joined the team, he has been worrying about the fact that he might not be able to spend enough time in the car before the start of the 2021 season.

Although Alonso already has immense experience at the wheel, the fact that he has stayed out of F1 for a period of nearly two years does put a dent in his confidence.

Alonso condemned FIA’s rule of not letting new drivers enough track time before the start of the championship. “F1 is a contradiction. It is the most sophisticated sport in the world, with millions and millions of investments,” Alonso said to AS.com. “But it is the only one in which the athlete is prohibited from training.

“Next year, in January, there will be a day and a half in total of testing per driver in the car. And from there, the World Championship is on,” the Spaniard said.

Eventually, Renault’s Team Principal, Cyril Abiteboul, requested the FIA to let Alonso test their car, excluding the pre-season testing at Catalunya.

Cyril Abiteboul revealed that the team had already planned the programme for Alonso. “We are in the process of building his programme,” he told SkySportF1.

“We know that it would be in the second part of the season, so we didn’t rush anything. He also had his Indy car programme to do. We are building the programme, which is a programme that could be composed of some 2018 cars that we could do,” Abiteboul added.

At the moment, Alonso must be relieved having bagged the testing period he had hoped for. This is a huge chance for the Spaniard to regain his old form and catch up with the present F1 drivers.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here